Kriya: Basic Spinal Energy Series – Intermediate and Advanced Practice
Age is measured by the flexibility of the spine: to stay young, stay flexible. This series works systematically from the base of the spine to the top. All 26 vertebrae receive stimulation and all the chakras receive a burst of energy. This makes it a good series to do before meditation. Many people report greater mental clarity after regular practice of this kriya. A contributing factor is the increased circulation of the spinal fluid, which is crucially linked to having a good memory.
In a beginner’s class, each exercise that lists 108 repetitions can be done 26 times. The rest periods are then extended from 1 to 2 minutes.
Instructions on Basic Spinal Energy Series
1) Spinal Flex. Sit in Easy Pose. Grab the ankles with both hands and deeply inhale. Flex the spine forward and lift the chest up. On the exhale, flex the spine backward. Keep the head level so it does not “flip-flop.” Repeat 108 times (26 times for beginners). Then inhale. Rest 1 minute.
Spinal flexes have a “multi-stage reaction pattern” that greatly alters the proportions and strengths of alpha, theta, and delta waves.
2) Spinal Flex. Sit on the heels. Place the hands flat on the thighs. Flex spine forward with the inhale, backward with the exhale. Mentally vibrate Sat on the inhale, Nam on the exhale. Repeat 108 times. (26 times for beginners) Rest 2 minutes.
3) Spinal Twist. In Easy Pose, grasp the shoulders with fingers in front, thumbs in back. Inhale and twist to the left, exhale and twist to the right. Breathing is long and deep. Continue 26 times and inhale facing forward. Rest 1 minute.
4) Bear Grip. Lock the fingers in Bear Grip at the heart center. Move the elbows in a see-saw motion, breathing long and deep with the motion. Continue 26 times and inhale, exhale, pull the lock. Relax 30 seconds.
5) Spinal Flex. In Easy Pose, grasp the knees firmly. Keeping the elbows straight, begin to flex the upper spine. Inhale forward, exhale back. Repeat 108 times. (26 times for beginners). Rest 1 minute.
6) Shoulder Shrugs. Shrug both shoulders up on the inhale, down on the exhale. Do this for less than 2 minutes. Inhale and hold 15 seconds with shoulders pressed up. Relax the shoulders.
7) Neck Rolls. Roll the neck slowly to the right 5 times, then to the left 5 times. Inhale, and pull the neck straight.
8) Bear Grip. Lock the fingers in Bear Grip at the throat level. Inhale—apply mulbandh. Exhale—apply mulbandh. Then raise the hands above the top of the head. Inhale—apply mulbandh. Exhale—apply mulbandh. Repeat the cycle 2 more times.
9) Sat Kriya. Sit on the heels with the arms overhead and palms together. Interlace the fingers except for the index fingers, which point straight up. Men cross the right
thumb over the left thumb; women cross the left thumb over the right. Chant SAT and pull the Navel Point in; chant NAAM and relax it. Continue powerfully with a steady rhythm for at least 3 minutes, then inhale, apply Root Lock and squeeze the energy from the base of the spine to the top of the skull. Exhale, hold the breath out and apply all the locks. Inhale and relax.
Sat Kriya is fundamental to kundalini yoga and should be practiced every day for at least 3 minutes. If you have time for nothing else, make this kriya a part of your daily commitment to yourself to keep the body a clean and vital temple of God. You may build the time of this kriya to 31 minutes, but remember to have long, deep relaxation immediately after. A good way to build the time up is to do the kriya for 3 minutes then rest for 2 minutes. repeat this cycle until you have completed 15 minutes of Sat Kriya and 10 minutes of rest. Then follow this sequence with an additional 15-20 minutes of deep relaxation. Do not try to jump to 31 minutes because feel you are strong, virile or happen to be a yoga teacher. Respect the inherent power of the technique.
10) Relax completely on your back for 15 minutes
The Teachings of Yogi Bhajan ©2008
This set can be found in KRI International Teacher Training Manual through LOT
Download – Basic Spinal Energy Series
You cant get enough of Kundalini Yoga? Try some kriyas from the Kriya Library.
Thank you for stopping by. If you liked my post, make sure to leave a mindful* comment below or ask questions about whatever comes to your mind.
Thank you for reading!
With loving kindness,
Tiaga Nihal Kaur.